BSc(Hons), DUniv, FCIM, FISP, FMS, FRSA
Areas of experience: Business strategist, Portfolio Chairman, Trustee and NED, Non-Executive Chairman – Pilgrim Marketing, Hoffmeister Brewing Company. Marketing Director of Britvic plc, HP foods, Groupe Danone, Unilever Plc Batchelors’ Foods, Managing Director of Vileda Numerous Charity, Sector Trustee roles.
Areas of expertise: Executive Management, Strategy Development, Turnaround & Crisis Management, Raising Financ, M&A
- Chairman, Andrew Marsden Consulting
- Chairman, Freedman International
- NED, Whiteoaks International
- Sector Specialist, Corbett Keeling Corporate Finance
- Andrew Marsden Consulting Limited (2008 to date): Chairman. Provide strategic advice, pragmatic counsel to boards. Clients include Lanson Champagne, GSK, Greene King, The Communications Agency, Ashcroft International Business School, Telegraph Media Group, Argos, CBS Outdoor, Viking Ocean Cruises.
- Britvic plc (1997-08) – Marketing Director. Responsible for all Brand and Customer Marketing, Innovation and Corporate Communications. £53m Budget. Managed leading brands like Robinsons, Pepsi, 7UP, J2O and Tango; grew turnover +40% to £720m, brand contribution to £300+m, tripled company profit. Part of team to float business on LSE at £800m enterprise value (2005).
- HP Foods, Groupe Danone (1994-97) – Marketing Director. Responsible for Retail, Foodservice, Export and Customer Services. Chairman, Danone UK Marketing Forum; Member, European Food Strategy Group.
Divested HP Beans and Pasta brands to Hillsdown. Re-launched HP, Lea & Perrins and Daddies for record profits, record 70% market share.
- Vileda LP (1992-94) – Managing Director. Turned company around to deliver first profit since 1989; introduced dynamic innovation programme to achieve UK share leadership for first time.
- Unilever plc, Batchelors’ Foods and Brooke Bond Oxo (1978-92) –Management Trainee to Marketing Director, local Head of Profession.
Responsible for Sauces, Soups, Rice, Potato and Pasta product groups. Chairman, Brand Strategy Group launching Ragu across Europe.
Selected Publications ——————–
- Regular columnist in Off-Licence News, Marketing, Promotions and Incentives; occasional contributor to Marketor, magazine of WC of Marketors
- ’10 Things a Marketing Director Needs to Know’, Market Leader 2013
- ‘The Little Book of Leadership’, Richmond 2008
- ‘Shareholder Value Creation’, Brand Strategy 2003
BOARD MEMBERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS
2017 -20 Pilgrim Marketing – Brand activation agency. Clients include Nestle, Lindt, Ferrero, Costa Coffee.
- Co-Founder with former colleagues
- Won 11 of 13 new business pitches in first year
2014-17 Hoffmeister Brewing Company –
- Acquired brand from Heineken; reintroduced as super-premium, slow-brewed lager with private equity backing (2015)
- Set up brewing, co-packing, marketing, sales
- ‘Best beer in the world’ Award (2018, 2019)
2012-14 Steel London– Full-service digital agency. Clients include Greggs, Debenhams, TalkTalk.
- Restructured and refocussed Board
- Transformed leadership team
2010-11 iD Experiential – Leading experiential agency providing staffing, sampling and trial activities. Clients include Nestle, Reckitt Benckiser, Ralph Lauren.
- Expanded in-house staffing
- Repositioned towards holistic scale offering
- Streamlined accounts
2017 to date Whiteoaks International – Privately held global technology and broadcast PR agency.
- Restructured, improved financial performance behind revitalised growth strategy for potential M&A
- Improved operating margins; doubled turnover
2014-19 MMT Digital – UK’s most awarded agency (The Drum) Improved financial rigour to grow turnover seven-fold
- Restructured client service
- Sold company to AIM listed BeHeard Group
2009-16 Mesh Marketing – Shopper marketing agency. Clients include Coca Cola, Mars, Wrigley, Pernod Ricard
- Marketing Consultants’ ‘Best New Agency’ (2009).
- Six years turnover and profit growth
2014-16 Silverbean – Privately owned internet search business.
- Repositioned and restructured towards on-line performance optimisation agency
- Doubled turnover
2012-14 Weber Shandwick UK Consumer Board – World’s largest PR agency
- Brought ‘client perspective’ to positioning and pitches
- Inaugural Chairman, The Creative Capital Organisation. Created self-financing branded promotions for clients like Sainsburys, Jose Cuervo
2009-13 Wunderman UK (WPP) – UK’s largest direct and digital marketing agency. Clients include Ford, Jaguar, Nokia, Microsoft, Land Rover, Levi’s.
- Integrated three agency acquisitions
Trade & Industry Bodies – Chairman
2016 to date Debating Group – 12 trade bodies regularly debate contentious business issues in House of Commons.
- Restored finances
- Reorganised leadership structure
- Innovated debate format
2008-11 Advertising Standards Authority – Broadcast and Non-Broadcast Code Review, extension to digital.
- First full review in 50 years of Self and Co-regulatory Codes
governing all UK communications.
- International award-winning project launched ‘principles led’ governance codes for first time
2006-09 Marketing Society – 3000 senior marketers’ global network
- Redefined membership criteria
- Increased sponsorship income
- Relaunched Fellowship programme
2003-05 Incorporated Society of British Advertisers – Represents major UK advertisers.
- Instigated European lobbying
- Increased membership significantly
Charity Sector Trusteeships
2014-17 Marie Curie Cancer Care – Member, Retail and Risk & Investment Committees.
- Influenced repositioning, re-launching charity towards all
terminal illnesses (2016)
2014-16 Sheffield City Trust – 19 sports, recreation and entertainment venue operator; 5 million visitors per year; turnover £30m.
- Repositioned, renamed, relaunched charity (2015)
2010-16 Worshipful Company of Marketors Trust – City of London Livery Company. Member, Investment Committee.
- Secured £300k Harvard Bursary endowment
- Refocussed awards towards educational achievement
2011-15 Crime Reduction Initiatives; now Change, Grow, Live – One of largest substance abuse charities in UK, 250k people on programmes each year. Chaired Brand and Profile Committee.
- Improved funding pitch process, focus on impact reporting
2012-14 Communications Capability Review of the Armed Forces – Cabinet Office appointed Independent Assessor.
- Communications review across all armed services and MOD, including strategy, structure, branding, recruitment following ‘Defence Force 2020’ Strategic Review
- Recommendations accepted by Cabinet Office, MOD
2002-08 Governmental Advisory Committee on Advertising – Cabinet Office appointed Member. Oversaw Central Office of Information work and annual £200m budget.
- Improved media buying effectiveness
- Foreign language social issue campaigns including Aids
City of London
2017 to Date Financial Services Group of Livery Companies – Chairman.
Supports Lord Mayor/ Corporation to promote financial and professional services sector through coordinated response to key business issues, hosting foreign delegations, etc.
- Led delegation to five cities in China (August 2019)
- Organised Annual Lecture, briefings and seminars
2016 to Date Livery Committee – Elected Member. Oversees elections of date Lord Mayor; facilitates communication between 110 Livery Companies, Mayoralty, Corporation.
- Member Strategic Review accepted pan Livery (2019)
1996 to Date Worshipful Company of Marketors – Master (2015), Court date Member. City of London Livery Company.
- Led review of and implemented proposals for long-term strategy