BA (hons), MBA, CMI, FCIM
Starting out his career in sales and marketing Glyn quickly progressed to Marketing Director.
With rapid progression through a number of organizations taking roles as Sales Director, Marketing Director, Managing Director and ultimately Chief Executive across a number of blue chip businesses in the building industry including CRH and Tarmac.
He now runs his own small group of companies operating in over 30 countries globally. Following completion of his MBA in 1993 with the Open University Glyn was invited to become a tutor of Strategy for the University where he continues to run courses annually, as well as supervising MBA and MSc students for the University of Sheffield.
In 2002 he was awarded a Fellowship of the Charted Institute of Marketers in recognition of his contribution to the field. In 2014 Glyn became a Liveryman with the Worshipful Company of Marketers and a Freeman of the City of London, and currently chairs their Knowledge Development Committee.
Author of an on-line business assessment programme which was featured on BBC 2 “Working Lunch”, Glyn’s most recent venture involves him operating as a business trouble shooter within SMEs along with running senior level strategy workshops both within the UK and across Europe. He is also co-author of the European Erasmus funded European Business Growth Catalyst Programme, in partnership with The University of Sheffield, ESADE Business School in Spain and Alba University in Greece, which has been cited as a “success story” because of the impact it has had on SMEs. In February 2016 Glyn commenced a DBA in the transfer of business knowledge to SMEs at the Business School at Sheffield Hallam University. Since 2017 he has been a mentor with the European Regional Development Fund sponsored Launchpad Mentoring Scheme.
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY AND EXPERIENCE
March 2005 to Present – Glyn Cartwright Associates.
Currently I am operating as MD/CEO / Non executive director of 6 business operating in the UK and across the globe, focussed on sustainable business growth.
I developed a specialist Strategy, Change Management, Company Turnaround and Company Start Up consultancy.
- Took equity in one of the start up businesses and continue to operate as Managing Director of a Roofing Material manufacturer Liquid Roofing Systems Ltd.
- Wrote an on line business assessment programme that was featured on BBC’s “working lunch”.
- In conjunction with a major Rumanian consultancy ran “strategic workshops” for CEO’s.
- Been successfully used in company turn around.
November 2002 to March 2005- Carock Holdings
I bought a controlling share in a small manufacturing business and as Chief Executive set up a small group, during the 2 years I -:
- Grew the turnover from £300k to over £1m
- Gained supply agreements with major blue chip companies, e.g., Jewson’s, S.I.G.
- Formed long term strategic alliances with other building product companies e.g. Rite-vent.
- Developed and launched 2 new companies and 6 new product ranges.
However due to a combination of factors I decided to close down this operation.
May 1997 to November 2002– Cox Building Products.
Managing Director brought in to turn the company around after three years of falling sales, profit and market share. Part of CRH plc. Achievements include: –
- Returning the company to growth and profit, which has included the total re-organisation of the business involving the closure and relocation of the offices and manufacturing plant.
- Leading the sale of the business from Yule Cato plc to CRH.
- Changing the company’s routes to market and repositioning it as a major supplier.
- Significantly improving customer service levels to contractors and distributors.
- Growing and securing sole/preferred supply agreements with all the industries key customers, Jewsons, Travis and Sheffield Insulation.
- Growing export sales by over 100% to be 15% of the companies turnover.
- Changing company name and image, reposition it as a major player.
- Successful launch of new product ranges. Business Start Ups.
- Formed a strategic partnership with a major N. American company.
There has needed to be revolutionary change in order to quickly put the company in the position it now is, with a strong customer base from which to further grow. Having developed my skills in total charge of a company.
Salary £65,000 plus bonus. (40% OTE)
November 1992 to May 1997 Ruberoid Building Products
Sales Director responsible for the whole UK. sales operation.
- Major involvement in the floatation of Ruberoid out of the Tarmac group.
- Reorganised and re-focused the sales operation, merging two companies into one. This resulted in sales, profit and market position objectives being attained. These results can be quantified both in terms of growth in market share and a substantial increase in trading profits.
- Secured sole or preferred supply agreements with all major customers.
Basic salary £50,000. Reason for leaving, to run a company as MD.
November 1991 to August 1992 I.G. Lintels.
Sales and Marketing Director responsible for both UK. and export sales and marketing operations.
- After reorganising the sales operations I attained year on year growth across all product groups, resulting in increased profit.
- I drove through the introduction of a new corporate image, had a sales force of 32 (2 divisions) and a turnover of £24m.
I left due to a strong disagreement with regard to company culture. Salary on departure £44k plus bonus.
1987 to 1991 Richard Burbidge Ltd.
General Sales Manager responsible for all UK. and overseas sales.
Taking the turnover from £10m to £24m. Responsible for external sales, sales office, data entry and secretariat totalling 39 people.
- During this period that the recession hit the building industry and as a result of rapid restructuring I was able to return to continued profitable growth after only one year of downturn in business.
- In addition to my other roles in 1988 I set up “Richard Burbidge Ireland” as Sales Director/CE with the entire Irish office and staff reporting to me. First years sales £0.75m.
- My only reason for leaving was to gain a full board appointment. Salary on leaving £38k.
1978 to 1987 Winn and Coales (Denso) Ltd. Waterproofing products.
Group Marketing Manager 1985 to 1987 reporting directly to the M.D. with global responsibilities. During this time I
- Introduced a new corporate ID.
- Took the company into France via a joint venture.
- Set up and ran as General Manager a new brokerage.
National Sales Manager 1984 to 1985 responsible for 4 divisions, 31 people.
National Field Sales Manager 1983 to 1984 responsible for 2 divisions, 19 people.
National Sales Supervisor 1982 to 1983 responsible for 1 division, 9 people.
The rapid promotion during this period was the result of continuing to improve the sales performance exceeding budget expectations. I was responsible for recruiting new sales operations, developing existing ones and I set up and ran our own “in house” training centre.
Salesman N.E. of England 1978 to 1982 always in the top three of the entire sales operation, winning “salesman of the year” on two occasions.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
January 2005 Chartered Institute of Marketing
Currently 2.5 years into a Doctor of Business Administration at the Sheffield Business School, the subject being assisting SMEs to grow. Due to complete February 2020.
In 2015 I became a Freeman of the City of London and Liveryman in the Worshipful Company of Marketers in the City of London, where I Chair the Knowledge Development Committee
Elected a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing
1990 to 1993 the Open University.
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.).
1985 Intensive residential course at Neane College plus distance learning.
Chartered Institute in Marketing “Diploma in Marketing” (Degree equivalent). Now a ‘Chartered Marketeer.’
1978 to 1980 Chesterfield College, evening class.
Chartered Institute in Marketing “Certificate in Marketing” (HND equivalent).
1972 to 1974 College of St. Mark and St. John, Chelsea.
Teacher training college